A job seeker by the name of Robert Collins who lives in Maryland was asked by an employer to provide his Facebook password so a hiring manager could properly evaluate his application to be reinstated as a prison guard. Robert Collins was told his profile would be scoured for evidence of gang connections. Huh! What ever happen to just doing a criminal background check? Oh, I guess obtaining someone's Facebook password would be much cheaper, in fact it's free!
Check out this video below
We are a bit more fortunate here in Canada that laws protect us from this craziness. Labour laws here in Canada protect us from Employer's asking for personal information.
Social media tips
- Don't ever put anything out there that you may regret in the future.
- Nothing online is ever really private, remember that!
- Change your Facebook settings to private (This is a good rule of thumb. However, there are savvy hackers that may be able to get past your privacy settings)
- I know many people who don't use their real name on social media sites.
- Remember others can post pictures of you on Facebook. It could have been a picture when you were drunk in high school. Notify any friends or family members if you notice a picture you want taken off.